Friday, July 25, 2008

1st blood results

Yesterday's appointment was just as exciting as Tuesday's but with a lot less drama, thankfully. Mostly because it was a 'wam bam thank you ma'am' type of appointment.

One thing that I'm sure of, little one, is that once all this blood work comes back proving that you're in there growing and growing, I will look for a different practice/doctor to continue on this journey with. The bedside manner the doctor and the PA have exhibited just isn't acceptable to me. I understand they don't want to give this first time mommy-to-be false hope, but to coldly respond to my question of "Things are OK as of right now though, right?" with a nasty - and I do mean nasty - "Ma'am it's just too soon to tell you anything!" spat is just cruel and, of course, made me start crying because I immediately thought that you weren't growing and they didn't want to tell me that.

It's been 8 weeks since my last period and we had sex one single time since then - June 17 - so how can it be too soon to tell me if this baby is growing or not? I may not know when my exact ovulation date was, but really, how long can his sperm survive? You people are the doctors, you tell me!

Anyway the results as this tired brain recalls from Tuesday's blood test: Progesterone is at 11.3 and should be over 11 so that's good. HCG is 2500+ but she (the PA) couldn't tell me if that was good until the results come back from the blood she took from me yesterday (because they should at least double each time) - which was a lot. Two tubes full instead of one like Tuesday. She also told me my thyroid results came back high so they'll have to keep an eye on that. When I asked what that meant as far as the baby was concerned, she snapped "It has to do with your metabolism."

Well duh! I'm not 10, I do understand thyroid equals metabolism but what does it have to do with my baby?! I wanted to scream but couldn't get it out past the tears.

She asked if there were any other questions and of course I have a gazillion but didn't feel like being belittled anymore so asked nothing. So before she took me to the lab she spat out this gem: "Well if you experience any cramping or bleeding, go to the emergency room immediately." A ray of sunshine, that one. I didn't ask you about that and again, I'm not 10, I thought.

Ray of sunshine then took me over to the lab to get more blood drawn and then I made an appointment for the results of yesterday's blood and another blood test for Saturday. This way, your daddy gets to come with me. If the results from yesterday's blood doesn't double, I will definitely need his support right then and there and *when* I hear that the numbers *do* double, I'll want him there to be giddy and goofy with... because we're going to be parents!!

Anyway, when I got back to work, I checked a website that had "guidelines" of what the HCG should be 8 weeks from my last period and they should be between 7,650 - 229,000. So that kind of had me concerned.. my numbers are those of someone whose last period was 5 weeks ago, not 8.

But, the fact of the matter is that everyone is different and, more importantly, I'm still pregnant and you're still in there and I just know everything will be fine. It has to be. Keep on doing what you need to do in there, little one. This is all worth it. I don't care if I have to go back to the mean doctors every single day - if it means that you stick it out and keep on keeping on, it'll be so, so worth it.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there little one! We are all pulling for you. I will try to check back over the weekend for some good news. Mommy - you are great for standing up to those nurses. Best of luck!

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : background image by Patrick Hennessey