Saturday, July 19, 2008

Positively Plus

July 13, 2008 One of my biggest concerns before getting pregnant with you was my weight and how that would affect my pregnancy. At 35, I don't have a lot of time to screw things up because of something I should've had control over years ago; unfortunately, I wasn't able to lose any weight before conceiving you.

I haven't confirmed anything with my OBGYN but when I went to him back in January and told him that I was going off the pill and ready to conceive, he told me about OPK's and wished me luck. I asked him over and over again if my weight would be an issue and he assured me that while added weight can put me (and you) at a higher risk for something going wrong, as long as I was healthy in every other way and as long as he monitored me throughout the pregnancy, it shouldn't be a problem.

If I wasn't at an "advanced maternal age", I probably would've tried waiting a little longer to lose some weight but as it is, we went ahead and tried to conceive you...

During that journey, I had good days and I had bad days with food. I tried so hard to eat the foods I should eat and stay away from the bad foods but more times than I care to admit, the bad food won. Especially after several months of TTC and no positive pregnancy test.

Then about a month before you were conceived, I made up my mind that I have to eat better, period. Not for you, not for your dad, but for me. I just feel better when I eat better. And, ever since finding out I was pregnant with you, I haven't looked back.

My eating has been spot on. I don't even want the crap food anymore. I have no desire for it! I'm sure I will get cravings, but I have no doubt that I will be able to stay on top of what I put in my mouth... because it's not just about me anymore. I want YOU to get the good nutrients you need to grow, grow, grow.

Anyway, I've been checking in with a great website since finding out I was pregnant and came across a great section on plus-sized pregnancies: http://www.babycenter.com/0_having-a-positive-plus-size-pregnancy_1504849.bc

It's really helped me believe that I can do this, that everything will be OK as long as I take care of both of us in a good way. And I will be more than happy to do that.

0 comments:

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : background image by Patrick Hennessey